Thursday, July 19, 2007

OFF AND RUNNING!

It's like I am poised to start running! Actually, taking a Greyhound Bus to Saint Louis in September of 1962 was one giant step for this country boy. Leaving North Brookfield, Massachusetts was "big time for this small town boy!" I was 20 years old with a dream: to see the world and get an education. I achieved both. College was a struggle as I didn't have much money. I worked my way through St. Louis Univerity "by hook or by crook." I did a variety of things to make money. I gave hair cuts for 50 cents. I worked in the college bookstore. I worked in a tobacco shop and package store. In the Summer time I worked atop Mount Washington and at Cape Cod National Seashore. I had a ball. I borrowed money to pay for the tuition and room and board. It was difficult as my good folks just didn't have the money to pay for my education. Essentially I paid for it by working.I got to make some good life-long friends like Attorney Bill Gross, from Indianapolis, who lives in the Portland, Oregon, area. Wayne Cook lives in the Houston Area. And Father Robert Bosken, my main Jesuit! My college days were good, exciting, and somewhat sober. For when does a man leave home and not drink, I ask! But that was then. I majored in Geography in college and minored in Political Science and Philosophy. I did not achieve academically, but I did learn the "street" and got a B.S. Degree. My next blog will cover my corporate career of some 12 years with Aetna Life & Casualty.

No comments: