Friday, July 20, 2007
MORE EXCITING ESTATE AUCTIONS
1987 was a banner year for me as was 1986. the color of money proved to be green. After attending the Certified Auctioneers Institute in Bloomington, Indiana, I came home to stage another great auction. This one was "'On Site" in Clinton, Mass. (No relation to Bubba!) Christine Beck lived to be in here 90s and never married. She didn't have any siblings. Her grand Victorian was chuck full of antique furniture and furnishings. All 9 rooms were filled to the brim. Trust Officers Ed Lewis and John Arsenault hired me to 'do my thing!" It was wonderful, to say the least. On a sunny April morning, under my green and white striped canvas tent, I let it roll. the bankers had agreed to allow me to auction the house off too. I "imported" my Brother from South Georgia, Col. Maurice Barfield to help me shoulder the load.You see an auctioneer has to have a tremendous amount of "brawn and brains' to deliver the goods. We have both! Everything was in my favor. Sunshine, active bidding and good antique merchandise. The house was loaded with Golden Oak Turn-of-Century furniture. there were tables, chairs, buffets but the thing that lingers in my memory are Miss Beck's' dolls! These porcelain head dolls were from Germany. They were exquisite. All three fetched $300 to $400 each! To me that was a lot of money. It seems the public likes things that are held in a "time-capsule" setting.But the real thrill of the auction came when I auctioned off the house. It was an unspoiled 1893 Victorian home. The successful bidder and buyer, Attorney Joe Shea and his partner Karen Katz paid $178,000 for the house. I earned a 3% commission and I was happy. They buyers said it was a highlight of their lives! I got good "press" from the Worcester Telegram. The auction will always be remembered as a highlight of my career. Another great estate auction came in late December of 1987. This sale was that of a connoisseur of antiquity. Gold and silver abounded as did oriental rugs.A signed Tiffany gold coin bracelet brought $2,100.There was fine New England furniture of the Period.This time I staged the auction in a "Ballroom setting' at the Worcester Marriot Hotel.I gained a lot of insight and experience in 1987. My auction business continued to be a 'family affair" as my sons aged to maturity. These two auctions - The Beck Estate and The Longstreet Estate - provide for priceless memories in a world full of 'made in China!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment