Wednesday, July 18, 2007

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

My life is one of high adventure1 From the get-go I've delighted in doing my own thing. At a very young age I was very curious about life. I would "pump" my dear mother with question after question.Mother, in turn would keep me busy with small chores like taking in the washing on the hill with my sister. At age 12 I asked for an antique regulator clock. Curious enough, I wound up the brass works.. and BANG .. the gears exploded almost severing my left thumb at the second joint! The good doctor who sutured me up gave me the thrill of my life. Dr. Eugene Roy was a stamp collector. On my last visit he showed me his valuable collection with pride. He had the Columbian Exposition stamps to the four dollar denomination. This began a love of philately for the rest of my life. I have dealt in stamps as a collector and auctioneer.At the same time Hurricane Carol hit New England. I developed a love of studying meteorology. Fifty years ago I purchased my first anemometer. I don't conceptualize higher math so I just "look at the clouds!" Fifty years ago I bought my first automobile for $40.00! It was a 1933 Chevrolet Coupe.. a real beauty. I learned about automobiles at a tender age. I am a Chevy Man to this date. In high school I did not achieve much. I graduated in 1960 and was chosed as a Boys State Delegate. I won the Good Citizenship Award too... so I must have done something right.. I attended Worcester Junior College and graduated in 1962. This is when my adventure really began. More later!

1 comment:

Richard B. Johnson said...

Hello Bob!
Welcome to BLOGing! Before long you will be so tied to your computer that you will lose interest in everything you’ve spent a lifetime learning to enjoy and spend the rest of your days staring blankly at those florescent-illuminated pixels. I'm just kidding, of course, but I remember when I got my first computer --one I had to learn to program before I could use. It came with a wonderful operating system called CP/M and used very primitive command-line utilities. It took two weeks of going without sleep, peering into a green terminal screen, before I got a simple program to work. That was only the beginning. Soon I taught my computer to play Black Jack. It’s been downhill ever since. Fortunately, one doesn’t need to program home computers before using them anymore. A few things have changed for the better I’m sure. But, computers can become a gigantic time sink-hole. Watch out!

Later,
Dick Johnson